Settings for controlling automatic building of industries

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

P.Val
Engineer
Engineer

Settings for controlling automatic building of industries

Post by P.Val »

We have a lot of settings regarding the industries, but there is one I miss very much: I can't set the rate how industries are automatically built (or automatically closed if they don't have traffic)

What I observed, is that if I play a scenario, no new industries are ever opened, even if there are very few industries on the map. Or am I wrong, and it can be set as a scenario property?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Settings for controlling automatic building of industrie

Post by Alberth »

Yes, you can set "number of industries" in the New Game window to "fund only".
P.Val
Engineer
Engineer

Post by P.Val »

Does the number of industries set at the beginning of a new game effect the spawn rate (besides turning spawning on or off)?

What about maps created in the map editor? How to affect the spawn rate in such maps?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

P.Val wrote:Does the number of industries set at the beginning of a new game effect the spawn rate (besides turning spawning on or off)?

What about maps created in the map editor? How to affect the spawn rate in such maps?
No and not, for default industries.

The game tries to keep the same amount of industries open (slowly increasing). Closure of industries is the primary way to get a different mix of industries over time (as industry probability may change for newgrf industries). For large maps and and dense industries, the game cannot keep up with closure, but I consider that not too bad, as you have more industries than you can ever manage to connect in that case.

The rate of increasing cannot be influenced (other than on/off as set in the beginning).

The problem with industries is that newgrf has too much control over an individual industry, making more global decisions or control impossible.
P.Val
Engineer
Engineer

Post by P.Val »

The problem is, that in creating maps myself, I cannot even set the spawning of industries on or off. They seem to be always off.
Would it make sense to add a setting to control the spawn rate, or would that be the job of the newgrf creators?
Dave

Post by Dave »

You can try the Industry Constructor Game Script - there are loads of settings in there!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

P.Val wrote:The problem is, that in creating maps myself, I cannot even set the spawning of industries on or off.
Yes you can, it's just at a horribly wrong place.

Open the new-game window, and set the industry density. Then make a map.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”