Cumbria Rail accident

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Skinnylinny
Engineer
Engineer

Cumbria Rail accident

Post by Skinnylinny »

Don't know if anyone knows about this yet...
A Virgin train (a class 390 Pendolino) has become derailed between Oxenhome and Tebay in Cumbria, with at least 6 people believed still to be trapped. The train involved was the 1715 from Euston to Glasgow Central, running on the West Coast Main Line. Apparently the derailment was preceded by some fairly strong shaking of the carriages - sounds like a tilt-system failure to me...
If any more information comes to light, I'm sure others will post. Just thought you all ought to know.

[edit: got the wrong train type - thanks Ameecher.]
Last edited by Skinnylinny on 23 Feb 2007 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
(not-so-)Proud speaker of French, Italian, German, Latin, Classical Greek and Esperanto...

Visual Basic Rocks! See my signalling simulator on my website.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I've just looked at the BBC News article about it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6391633.stm

I think the train you mean is actually a class 390 but that is irrelevant, just as the railway is pulling itself out of the Ladbroke grove, Selby and Hatfield incidents we get this with our newest and most advanced trains. No doubt the media will pull the whole lot apart and paint it in bad light. Let's hope everyone is ok.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

yeah the pendolino might have a tilting failier but I would also expect high speed winds in Cumbria
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

alistairgrew wrote:yeah the pendolino might have a tilting failier but I would also expect high speed winds in Cumbria
or even more likely a broken rail or other track damage.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

I would hope not, millions have been spent on that line upgrading it for 390 tilting.
Skinnylinny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skinnylinny »

Of course, Tebay was the location of that accident in 2004, where the trolley carrying lengths of rail knocked down track workers. I believe that most of the train's coaches (it was a 9-coach unit according to the Beeb) are on their sides. Indeed, one of the photos the BBC are showing shows the inside of a carriage which was tilted at 100 degrees from its normal (ie vertical) orientation. The reports also mention carriages "stuck up in the air".
(not-so-)Proud speaker of French, Italian, German, Latin, Classical Greek and Esperanto...

Visual Basic Rocks! See my signalling simulator on my website.
Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Martin »

I hope this turns out OK, it seems very hard to tell at this stage. A couple of minutes before I was going to type this post I saw a helicopter about to land here at Lancaster so that seems quite likely to be to do with it.
:)
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Watching it on the news..ouch. :(
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

any news on the possible cause yet?
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6392197.stm

Are saying the points may be the problem, but we shall have to see when the investigation can start properly.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I think credit goes to Alstom, the Pendolino despite having derailed at 90 odd mph and plunging down an embankment is still most definitely recognisable and is still largely intact, the carraiges certainly. Had this been a class 87 with a rake of Mk3s goodness knows what would have happened.

Edit: some pictures from Sky News:
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Thoughts from AMI go with both the Passengers and the Crew. Ian Black, the driver, did very well to slow it a bit...
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

The train is rather intact, i have heard that an elder woman has died by a hart attack?
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It's remarkable, and very good to know, that the train remained so intact, and that so few people were hurt. Just goes to show how much train travel, and safety, has improved in this country - despite what a few uninformed idiots will think, the railways are still pretty much the safest way to get around.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

BBC News wrote:Points 'faulty'

Rail expert Christian Wolmar told BBC News 24 that he understood the points involved were in a similar condition to those in the Potters Bar crash - with nuts missing and the stretcher bar between the rails loosened.

Seven people died and 76 were injured when poorly maintained points derailed the train in Hertfordshire in May 2002.

Mr Wolmar said it was up Network Rail to ensure that the points were properly maintained and that "things like loose bolts, loose bolts and nuts, were tightened up regularly".

He added: "But there is also the possibility that these nuts and bolts were maintained in the wrong way, or not sufficiently maintained, and that's why they were in that condition."
Oh blooming fantastic. The media will begin to bit by bit destroy the industry again.
Also NR has begun a check of between 600 and 700 sets of points on old lines where trains travel at speeds in excess of 85mph.
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Ameecher wrote:
BBC News wrote:Points 'faulty'

Rail expert Christian Wolmar told BBC News 24 that he understood the points involved were in a similar condition to those in the Potters Bar crash - with nuts missing and the stretcher bar between the rails loosened.

Seven people died and 76 were injured when poorly maintained points derailed the train in Hertfordshire in May 2002.

Mr Wolmar said it was up Network Rail to ensure that the points were properly maintained and that "things like loose bolts, loose bolts and nuts, were tightened up regularly".

He added: "But there is also the possibility that these nuts and bolts were maintained in the wrong way, or not sufficiently maintained, and that's why they were in that condition."
Oh blooming fantastic. The media will begin to bit by bit destroy the industry again.
Also NR has begun a check of between 600 and 700 sets of points on old lines where trains travel at speeds in excess of 85mph.
I was under the impression by what they were saying on the news, that a track gang had carried about some work on that section of line previously that week. If so, how could they have missed that?
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

jpmaster wrote:I was under the impression by what they were saying on the news, that a track gang had carried about some work on that section of line previously that week. If so, how could they have missed that?
The same happened at Potters bar with a track gang doing an inspection in the week prior to the accident. This time the previous check had been 3 weeks and either they didn't do their job properly or the bolts came loose through use. This is all speculation but I suspect heads will roll in high places.
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Ameecher wrote:
jpmaster wrote:I was under the impression by what they were saying on the news, that a track gang had carried about some work on that section of line previously that week. If so, how could they have missed that?
The same happened at Potters bar with a track gang doing an inspection in the week prior to the accident. This time the previous check had been 3 weeks and either they didn't do their job properly or the bolts came loose through use. This is all speculation but I suspect heads will roll in high places.
Indeed, but thats what you get when Network Rail subcontracts track maintenance to other companies where the workers are either incompetent and too lazy to do it properly or 'foreigners' who do not know what they are doing.

You should go to university and get a degree in railway maintenance before you are let loose on the railways, at least then we could be sure they people working the line are qualified.
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

retracted for the good of the forum because people dont like me expressing opinions and what i believe to be true
Last edited by csuke on 24 Feb 2007 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Just out of curiousity but who confirmed the Potter Bar information you have to be true? I always try to be critical so please don't take it personal :).

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”