desperately missing some settings

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eyecandy
Engineer
Engineer

desperately missing some settings

Post by Eyecandy »

Hi.

I'm running an OpenTTD server from time to time and I am still trying to get a good balance with the settings.
I did all that's possible with the openttd.cfg file, but there are still some things that I miss desperately.

#1: separate landscaping costs from general building costs

I remember that the cost values for building and for landscaping could be set separately in former versions of OpenTTD,
but now they seem to have been merged into one.
Is this feature still hidden somewhere in the game, so that I can access it through the openttd.cfg file?
Or do I have to use a server script to achieve that functionality?
Eyecandy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: desperately missing some settings

Post by Eyecandy »

Thank you for your hint, I'll take this in consideration.
I'd prefer a solution where clients don't have to download a grf file, so if anybody has any other ideas, please let me know.
Would it maybe be possible to create a server script that does the same?
GGa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GGa »

Again about settings (should I open a new topic?)...
Is there a setting not to trigger the "train X has too few orders in the schedule" warning when a train has an explicit "go to station", some implicit "go to"s and an explicit "go via waypoint"?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GGa wrote: 08 Sep 2023 18:05 Again about settings (should I open a new topic?)...
Is there a setting not to trigger the "train X has too few orders in the schedule" warning when a train has an explicit "go to station", some implicit "go to"s and an explicit "go via waypoint"?
That's weird. That warning should only be triggered if the train has one or no stations or depots in its order, to basically alert you that either you built a vehicle and it's not going anywhere, or you got a random train just repeatedly going to one spot.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

kamnet wrote: 08 Sep 2023 19:08
GGa wrote: 08 Sep 2023 18:05 Again about settings (should I open a new topic?)...
That's weird. That warning should only be triggered if the train has one or no stations or depots in its order, to basically alert you that either you built a vehicle and it's not going anywhere, or you got a random train just repeatedly going to one spot.
No, that's how it always worked, and it makes sense. Implicit orders are not real orders — they are just observations about the stations which the vehicle tends to pass.

However, if you know what you're doing, you can just disable the "Review vehicle's orders" setting.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

odisseus wrote: 09 Sep 2023 11:38 No, that's how it always worked, and it makes sense. Implicit orders are not real orders — they are just observations about the stations which the vehicle tends to pass.
setting.
But it wasn't just implicit orders, there were regular station orders and waypoint orders as well.

Oh, wait... *tests*

AHA! If those orders are all non-stop, and there's actually only one station that is explicitly listed, then it will trigger the error. Set the waypoints to "Go via" instead of "Go non-stop" via and the warnings disappear. Makes sense. The only way I can trigger the warning is setting the waypoint to "Go non-stop via".
GGa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GGa »

Clipboard 1.jpg
Clipboard 1.jpg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
(Swiss town names are a "tradition"... please don't pay attention to them).

A "go via" without "non-stop". The warning.
If I understood what you wrote, it's working differently for me (no idea why, of course).
GGa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GGa »

odisseus wrote: 09 Sep 2023 11:38However, if you know what you're doing, you can just disable the "Review vehicle's orders" setting.
Thank you.
I'll try this.
EDIT: and it works!
Thank you again!
^_^

Said in parentheses...
odisseus wrote: 09 Sep 2023 11:38Implicit orders are not real orders — they are just observations about the stations which the vehicle tends to pass.
Let me remember: if you make a long and curvy line, and order the trains to go to the end stations, they get also implicit orders for the stations in between. If you then build a shortcut, the trains continue to take the old, long way because they sense that they must comply with implicit order.
Not sure about how it works in the latest releases, anyway.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

GGa wrote: 10 Sep 2023 12:32 If you then build a shortcut, the trains continue to take the old, long way because they sense that they must comply with implicit order.
I don't think it ever worked like that. There are several other factors that can make the pathfinder choose the long path over the short one; the most common one is the difference in congestion between those two paths.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”