Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Post by OPS »

Whilst decompiling some tars and comparing them to the wiki page listing some completed 32bpp buildings I thought "why not just reuse existing graphics" (as a temporary solution). :P

So I went through some sprite codes and evenly duplicated current graphics to use for buildings that haven't been made yet. I tried to use a similar type of building for the ones I was replacing so they don't look out of place. While doing this I was also looking through all the current content available, even stuff that doesn't make the nightly build. I managed to find a couple more uncoded graphics that were too unique to reuse existing ones, so I coded them and added them in.

I did this purely for personal use to improve the visual quality until 32bpp is finished. It is meant to be a collection of everything I could find and duck taped together to make a 32bpp version that looks as finished as is currently possible. There are still some that I couldn't replace but its mostly not very noticable. I also added a larger GUI grf and increased font sizes with new font.

Now I'm not sure if this is something anyone else would be interested in, but I would be happy to upload it if there is a demand and it is ok for me to do so. I don't know who created most of the stuff I have used or even if it was intended to be released yet, so I'm unsure if it would be appropriate for me to release it. :?:

Edit: screenshots of some of the stuff I coded.

Bank
Park
Second park and statue
Tennis court

Still need some minor adjustments. I found the 8bpp stadiums stand out too much so I replaced both with the tennis court. As far as I can see there are no 8bpp graphics left in my towns for temperate 1950-2000(approx).
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Post by Lord Aro »

i can't see the images you posted but....

who wants an airport hanger as a house? it just wouldn't work imo
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

You use houses for houses as I have done. Anything too unique like parks and stadiums I found graphics for and coded them. But then I already said this in the first post. :? If theres really nothing available then I leave it, but so far I've managed to add or copy about 20 more things into the game, makes a huge difference when you're playing.

Links to those images(No hangers :P).
http://i.imgur.com/GbMqd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tyw3B.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5SxgB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O7BqT.jpg
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

indeed, i take back what i said, it does look better :)
OPS wrote:Anything too unique like parks and stadiums I found graphics for and coded them.
any chance you could post the files for these?

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The main problem is that You need permission before You use the graphics.

I will try to code more buildings, It's a bit slow, but... My idea is to leave them 100% finished in construction stages and zoom levels.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

Lord Aro wrote:any chance you could post the files for these?
I'll repo the ones that I got from the wiki buildings/abondoned buildings when I'm happy they are finished. I'm unsure about repoing the ones I found from the blender thread though. They were just previews and I wouldn't want to step on anyones feet by releasing something they are still working on. However i'm sure some of them have been abandoned, which is a shame.
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

maquinista wrote:The main problem is that You need permission before You use the graphics.
This is for my own use until this issue is resolved.
maquinista wrote: I will try to code more buildings, It's a bit slow, but... My idea is to leave them 100% finished in construction stages and zoom levels.
I would be happy to try and code anything if there are finished graphics that need doing (have I missed a page where these are posted?). The construction stages sound better than seeing 8bpp but towns may look like permanent building sites.
Last edited by OPS on 12 Dec 2011 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OPS wrote:i'm sure some of them have been abandoned, which is a shame.
Whatever their state: Please make sure that you only use graphics where you have _express permission_. Receiving no answer and / or assumptions on the arists' intentions won't get you anywhere except into a flamewar.
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

OPS wrote:i'm sure some of them have been abandoned, which is a shame.
This was specifically about graphics I found around the forums and did not know the status of so wouldn't be releasing.. hence the shame.
planetmaker wrote: Whatever their state: Please make sure that you only use graphics where you have _express permission_. Receiving no answer and / or assumptions on the arists' intentions won't get you anywhere except into a flamewar.
I appreciate this conern. I have already decided not to release anything I don't know about. But what about the stuff from the abandoned/buildings pages on the wiki? Isn't the whole point of them being listed there for others to finish?
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

a list of the artists' work you can use is here: http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_licensing

OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

If I remember, I coded this park as a new house (GRF file + 32 bpp sprites) with some "enhanced" tropical houses. The park modelled by antonio1984 could be coded as another new house.

The problem of the parks, is that They are placed over a grass tile. I need separated elements (statue, path, trees...) to code it properly. Otherwise, It will have surrounding leaves, and It will appear over the pavement.

The park with water (small pound) was coded if I remember, but I don't remember if I have uploaded it.

EDIT: This file contains a park (pound) and a fountain. The park should work well, because it has smooth edges that should fit over the grass tile used by OpenTTD.
Attachments
fountains_parks.tar
File with fountain and park.
(180 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

I noticed the problem with grass underneath, thats why I did the second version. Its for the second park tile not the fountain.

As for the park with water I think it looks fine both with and without the fence around it. The only reason I did it is because it wasn't coded in the repo and the wiki page said there are no park tiles. :(

I think if I do anymore it will be for my own use only.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

About the park: I can try to create the path, and I can try to use some current trees. I only need a statue, or some small lampposts.

We can try to search stuff done in Internet (3D warehouse, for example), but these stuff must have a free license.

About the file with enhanced houses: I will try to share it.

PS: I don't know if It's possible to add a GRF file to modify ONLY the crossings, converting them in crossings with four sprites for signals.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

The problem is not that the park is built on grass, but that the grass overlaps its own boundary. This will always result in obvious graphical glitches, and is a bug of the grass tile.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Didn't Zephyris once made a flat grass tile? I believe he references it in this http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ss#p873191 post but I can't find the picture at the moment...
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

maquinista wrote:About the park: I can try to create the path, and I can try to use some current trees. I only need a statue, or some small lampposts.
We can try to search stuff done in Internet (3D warehouse, for example), but these stuff must have a free license.

About the file with enhanced houses: I will try to share it.
Thanks maquinista. I don't actually have any huge interest in the parks, I was just trying to contribute. You seem to know better techniques for doing them and have already made progress. You also seem to know much more about what has and hasn't been done so I think its best I leave it to you. I'll do my best to help if you actually need anything from me though.
maquinista wrote:PS: I don't know if It's possible to add a GRF file to modify ONLY the crossings, converting them in crossings with four sprites for signals.
Sorry I don't understand what you are talking about here. Do you mean the road crossings over rail tracks? If so what about them?

Also I noticed in this post http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 91#p873042 you have a picture of trains that I can't find available coded anywhere. Is there anyway I can get them? 8)
bokkie wrote:Didn't Zephyris once made a flat grass tile? I believe he references it in this http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ss#p873191 post but I can't find the picture at the moment...
This seems like the best solution. I don't see any "need" for grass to be tall, it may add to the illusion of realism/3d in some situations but if it is causing bugs in others then the small advantage is outweighed imo. Unless I'm missing another benifit from it.

It seems people are working on bits here and there, how do I know what isn't being coded/worked on by someone else?
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

Hello,
please, can someone publish this selection of TARs together as one big TAR for "user-friendly" instalation? I installed NightlyDEVpack, but the game is not nearly as nice as the pictures above.
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

extrem123 wrote:Hello,
please, can someone publish this selection of TARs together as one big TAR for "user-friendly" instalation? I installed NightlyDEVpack, but the game is not nearly as nice as the pictures above.
I had the same problem as you. Took me a long time to gather everything that is publicly available and work it all out. I could put together a revised pack without the dubious tiles that don't have a clear license.

Are you using the extra zoom build?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

OPS wrote:
extrem123 wrote:Hello,
I had the same problem as you. Took me a long time to gather everything that is publicly available and work it all out. I could put together a revised pack without the dubious tiles that don't have a clear license.

Are you using the extra zoom build?
I'd like to point again to the Request: 32bpp (normal zoom) graphics for OpenGFX+ projects topic. We requested help with gathering the sprites, however apart from Zephyris nobody responded. Helping there would go a long way to eventually get a full pack of sprites.

Return to “Graphics Development”