[Univ] GRVTS (v1.4) and [OTTD] eGRVTS (v1.0)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Maki
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Univ] GRVTS (v1.4) and [OTTD] eGRVTS (v1.0)

Post by Maki »

I started a local LAN server today and found that eGRVTS has the horse-drawn carriages set to 0 power for some reason.
They had been acting normal in the temperate climate, but in the mountain climate they don't go faster than 1km/h.

Can anyone help me restore functionality to these horses?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Do you have realistic acceleration for road vehicles enabled?

I believe eGRVTS 1.0 doesn't cope with that too well.
Maki
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maki »

FooBar wrote:Do you have realistic acceleration for road vehicles enabled?

I believe eGRVTS 1.0 doesn't cope with that too well.
Right. This fixed it.
Any chance a new version of eGRVTS might have this corrected?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Hey,

I am planning (and am part-way through) a big update for eGRVTS. Unfortunately I just don't have enough spare time at the moment with a PhD thesis to write. I really hope I will get a chance to get it finished at some point though.

In the meantime if you want to make any tweaks or changes to add realistic acceleration settings to the existing eGRVTS please go ahead, I can then put it on BaNaNaS etc.
Maki
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maki »

Zephyris wrote:Hey,

I am planning (and am part-way through) a big update for eGRVTS. Unfortunately I just don't have enough spare time at the moment with a PhD thesis to write. I really hope I will get a chance to get it finished at some point though.

In the meantime if you want to make any tweaks or changes to add realistic acceleration settings to the existing eGRVTS please go ahead, I can then put it on BaNaNaS etc.
I would love to help out, but I haven't a clue how.
I'm sure I've missed a tutorial or two.. three.. sixteenthousand.. I'm oblivious like that. :oops:

Farthest I got was trying to follow some tutorial (which I've lost since) about how to draw images for GRFs. Most I got was two colored boxes.. which I dubbed a hoverbus and deleted a week later to hide my shame. :oops:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If you continue reading from the link I posted previously, you'll find some stuff that may be useful.

But in general, learning NFO (or at least some of it's basics) is required here.
Maki
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maki »

FooBar wrote:If you continue reading from the link I posted previously, you'll find some stuff that may be useful.

But in general, learning NFO (or at least some of it's basics) is required here.
I'll have a look at NML & NFO.. but NFO seems a bit out of my league. But thanks for the hint.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

NML is not really useful here, unless you want to rewrite the complete set. (In theory one could use NML to generate NFO to add to the existing code, but that doesn't make it easier).

Finding usable values for the realistic acceleration properties is probably the biggest task here. Once you have that, the required NFO is easily generated from a spreadsheet, like Pikka did.
Maki
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maki »

FooBar wrote:NML is not really useful here, unless you want to rewrite the complete set. (In theory one could use NML to generate NFO to add to the existing code, but that doesn't make it easier).

Finding usable values for the realistic acceleration properties is probably the biggest task here. Once you have that, the required NFO is easily generated from a spreadsheet, like Pikka did.
But isn't NML a decent entrance-course into NFO? Knowing what the bits and bobs do in NML might help find them in NFO, right? Or is there a NFO tutorial I missed?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Maki wrote:But isn't NML a decent entrance-course into NFO?
Maybe, but there are some quite significant differences.

NML would give a good understanding of vehicle properties etc which translates to nfo.
The switch chains in NML somewhat translate to varaction 2 in NFO.
The handling of NML spritesets / spritegroups is functionally the same as realsprites / action 2, but looks different.

The most off-putting aspect for most people would be the raging madness of pure unescaped, unformatted, uncommented hex, which is the output you'd get from decompiling a grf. Some people like counting bytes, many don't. :twisted:

NFO can be fun though, and is good brain exercise :D
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I guess one could write the required property blocks in NML, output that to NFO and stick it to the end of the decoded eGRVTS...

But no, NML is not an entry course to NFO. Surely some things are similar, but compare this example: http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial#Example
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

andythenorth wrote:The most off-putting aspect for most people would be the raging madness of pure unescaped, unformatted, uncommented hex, which is the output you'd get from decompiling a grf. Some people like counting bytes, many don't. :twisted:
Ah, yeah, that is one thing people should be aware of... I enjoy pure unescaped, unformatted, uncommented hex; there is no commented source for this grf. If you decompile the .grf file to .nfo that is the same thing that I would be working on to tweak the set.
Boondox(Ryda)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boondox(Ryda) »

is there going to be another update for egrvts or will this version allways be here cause i like egrvts better but theres a bug with some sprites ill get 3 pics up here soon
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I think reversing that statement and just putting buses in BANDIT would be better and simpler. Of course, that may run contrary to the original intentions.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

oberhümer wrote:I think reversing that statement and just putting buses in BANDIT would be better and simpler. Of course, that may run contrary to the original intentions.
Buses in BANDIT - depends what Mr. DanMacK can turn his hand to (or if real life distracts him) :)

However BANDIT is intended as an alternative to eGRVTS, not a total replacement...I've used eGRVTS in every game for years, I thought some variety would be good ;)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

You'd finally have a sensible sort-of-acronym too - Buses AND Incredible Trucks :P
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

uhh just wondering,
when i use this, for the first fiew months in 1900 horses are fine,
then all of a sudden they go at one killomiter per hour.
???
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Do you have realistic acceleration for roadvehicles enabled? If so, then disable that.
That doesn't explain why they work at first, but this set (or at least the version from the online content) is known not to work with realistic acceleration.

Return to “Graphics Development”